Friday, September 08, 2006

Dao Guiyang

"Dao Guiyang" is Chinese for "to Guiyang"! Sara, Kris and I are headed to Guiyang for the weekend. We'll meet the rest of our ULS team there. I think we'll also visit Walmart.

There was a huge thunderstorm last night. At 4 in the morning some lightening struck so close - the sound was deafening! The electricity was out and I was groggily trying to close all of my windows and unplug my computer in the dark. It took me a while to get back to sleep because there was so much thunder and lightening!

I changed my Thursday 4-6 class to Friday 8-10. It means that my Fridays aren't free anymore. But to me, there is little difference between no classes and an 8 o'clock class. I still have the majority of the day free.

I think (hope) that my second week of classes was more successful than my first. The only exception may be my literature class. The students still don't have the book, and it's practically impossible to teach literature without a book! We spent two hours making a timeline of the authors and periods of American and British literature. It's a boring thing to do, but even more boring when the terms "Renaissance", "Neo-Classicism" and "Critical Realism" enter the conversation. The students were totally unfamiliar with those words, and it's very difficult to explain them! Thankfully their book (when they get it) is mostly in Chinese. So hopefully they can read some of the words in their own language and have a better understanding than I can give them!

Well, I need to pack since we're leaving in thirty minutes!
:)

No comments: