Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Future...

The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.
ABRAHAM LINCOLN

I have loved my time in China. I love living abroad. I love the bus. I love my students. I love the food. I love being a novelty.

But the best thing about China, for me, has been the opportunity to learn more about myself. As long as I can remember, I have been very concerned about the opinions of those around me. What does my mom think? What does my teacher think? What do my friends think? What do strangers on the street think? And here, I'm 5,000 miles away from those I relied on. Now, I have to ask myself: What do *I* think?

I feel blessed to have many talents. I enjoy learning. This give me many options, which, for me, is more a curse, than a blessing.

I'm like the Runaway Bride: one direction (say, Linguistics) looks so good to me! I commit to it, I apply to school, I get accepted. But then it becomes almost too real. And I panic. All I can think about is how making that one choice means that there are another hundred opportunities I'll miss in my life...

So after some deep soul-searching, I decided not to head to South Carolina for grad school. I now know what matters to me: -helping people, -serious intellectual pursuits, -using my gifts and talents in the best way possible... And I'm considering Law School. But I'm taking it slowly. I'm going to move back in with my parents, in Rochester, NY, and look for a job as a paralegal.

I reserve the right to change my mind again. I'm only 23! I don't feel the need to have my life completely planned out. But I do want to be going somewhere.

So keep me in your thoughts. I'm certain that the future will be what it should be. And, for the first time in a while, I'm content to not see the whole picture! :)

No comments: