Friday, April 28, 2006

Let's get oriented...

Well, when I heard that I was going to Anshun I had no idea exactly where that was. Maybe you feel the same way!

Here is a map of China with Guizhou (the province) in red:

And here's a map of Guizhou with Anshun circled in red:

I made a little legend in the corner of the map. As you can see, Guiyang is the capital of the Guizhou province. I hear it is about an hour and a half bus ride from Anshun. And Guiyang has two Walmarts! It's crazy to me that there is Walmart in China! Anyway, the neighboring provinces to Guizhou are Sichuan (which is often spelled Schezwan-as in Schezwan chicken-in the US), Chongqing, Yunnan (you can see it in the map), Guangxi (also in the map), and Hunan. You can also see that Anshun is pretty close to North Vietnam (about 200 miles), which makes my mom nervous. Don't worry Mom, I have no plans to go to Vietnam!

Here are some other tidbits of information about Guizhou from answers.com:
Climate - subtropical: there are few seasonal changes
Average temperature - 10-20
°c (50-68°F)
January temperature - 1-10
°c (34-50°F)
July temperature - 17-28
°c (63-86°F)
Per capita income - 3568 RMB ($470 USD): this is the lowest of any province in China.

Oh, and the picture of the waterfalls in the top left of the page are the Huanggoushu waterfalls. They are the largest waterfalls in Asia, and are located in Anshun. I can't wait to vist them myself!!

So, now we all know a little more about Anshun and Guizhou.

Until next time,
Elizabeth


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hooray!!!! this is so exciting! Chinese is going to be a little harder to learn than Russian was, what with the hundreds of characters... maybe you could just do phoenetics :)