Monday, September 04, 2006

Le Tour de Anshun

Yesterday (Sunday), Kris, Sara and I rode bikes into town.

The rules of the road are so different here; it was quite an experience! Kris led, and Sara and I just tried to keep up.

It is a slightly downhill trip from the school into town that takes about 10-15 minutes. We could mostly coast downhill. Once in town we did a variety of walking our bikes (in more congested areas) and riding. We visited markets and did some "window shopping". Then we had lunch at our favorite beef-noodle restaurant. Then it was off to the grocery store. Right across from the grocery store there is a video store. You can buy western (most likely illegal) movies for 7 yuan (88 cents). I bought Spanglish and Rent.

Then we went to the outdoor meat and vegetable market. We found frozen chicken breasts! Yay! There is no "back stage" at that market; they sell live chickens or dead chickens. You can watch them pluck the chickens right there. It was quite a relief to buy 14 small chicken breasts for 24 yuan (3 dollars).

Finally we tried--unsuccessfully--to find a store that would sell electricity converters. As soon as I can find one, I'll put up more photos. I need to recharge my batteries and the batteries they sell here are enough to take just 15 photos before they die...

If the philosophy in the States is "it is your responsibility not to hit anyone", the philosophy in China is "it is your responsibility not to get hit by anyone." The biggest vehicle has the right of way. Riding bikes through town was quite an experience.

Riding back to the University was so hard, though. If we could coast most of the time going to town, we had to pedal the whole time going back. And I had a backpack full of chicken, flour and cornmeal. The incline, the extra weight and the fact that the elevation is quite high here (2690 feet above sea level) all together made the trip back killer. About .5 kilometer before the school gate Sara and I just got off our bikes and walked them back. Kris is in great shape and bikes all over, but we are totally not there yet! It was funny, because Kris had said, "biking into town is easier than taking the bus." When Sara and I were red-faced, walking our bikes, she said to me, "how is this easier than taking the bus!?" But we survived!

My only complaint is that I didn't put enough sunscreen on my arms. I guess I didn't realize that they would be so exposed; but holding onto handlebars gives the sun a pretty good shot at them! So my forearms and the tops of my hands are burnt. It's kind of funny, because my fingers are fine! I'm actually feeling better already since yesterday.

So that was the adventure of the weekend!

No comments: