Saturday, March 03, 2007

Electricity!

I took physics like 5 years ago, but I think I remember a little something about electricity. I think (don't quote me!) that if there is only a certain amount of electricity and more things are plugged into it, each thing gets less electricity. I think that in America there are regulators and stuff to prevent that, but here in China it's definitely true.

In the winter the electricity gets really low. My oven is not as hot, my light bulbs glow dimmer, my electric heater doesn't heat as well and my internet doesn't work as well. The internet doesn't quite make sense to me - isn't it about information, not electrons? Or maybe I'm just ignorant and I don't know how they can be connected.

Anyway, this winter the electricity was very, very low. I was downloading an episode of Lost from iTunes and it took 14 hours to download one episode.

Well, last week with the students being gone (fewer people using the same amount of electricity) and no one using heaters, it only took 35 minutes. Isn't that crazy!

My oven was much hotter this week, too. The students are back now, so the electricity isn't as great as it was, but it's still better than the winter.

I tell you, I'm learning so much by living here! And it isn't even things I was expecting to learn.

Electricity - who would have thunk it? :)

No comments: