Monday, March 05, 2007

Longgong Caves

I have attempted to write this blog entry for nearly two months now. I think I am trying to put too many photos in it, and the internet keeps kicking me off. So, it remains to be seen whether this attempt will be successful!

In mid-December I had a chance to visit the Longgong Caves. They are a local "scenic spot". The government called the school to see if the foreign teachers would visit the caves as a way of promoting it. They are trying to increase their rating from a "4A" to a "5A" standing. And apparently foreigners are a good endorsement.

I was less than thrilled by the prospect. First of all, it would take up my entire Saturday. Second, we had to meet at 7:20am. Yuck! But I am so glad that I went - it was great!

Kelsey, Sara and I went, along with two other English department faculty (Chinese nationals).

We went to breakfast first - noodles. I am still not used to eating noodle soup for breakfast, but it was yummy.


There were celebrations at the caves (promotions for this "5A" rating thing):

->local minority dances



dragon dancing<-






We also went on a boat ride through the caves. I must admit, I was expecting something cold and cramped. But the caves were enormous and beautiful! The boat ride was the most fun.

We were served a pretty good lunch. Because we were "special guests" we had special food. I don't generally appreciate the special food. Special means turtle soup with whole turtles in it, chicken livers and chicken feet and heads. I would prefer poor people food any day! This was good, though.

The day had some good examples of things that are typically Chinese:

-We were given a survey to fill out about our experience. The Chinese teacher who was interpreting said "they ask that you would please mark 'very satisfied' for each category". How's that for ensuring that the responses are accurate!!

-There was some mis-translation on the signs. Here is my favorite. Read the labels for the phone numbers!
:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so funny! i'm glad you're learning and having such a good time. miss you!