Saturday, October 14, 2006

Chicken!

So, I just bought a chicken.

Yesterday sometime, I was thinking about how much I love a good, roasted chicken. You know, you put onions in the cavity and the skin gets crispy. You can even make gravy!

Well, the only chicken I had was in the form of boneless/skinless, so I decided to brave the fresh meat market.

Sara came with me, as we also did some general grocery shopping. I told her that I was planning on buying a whole chicken. She looked at me with disbelief, but accompanied me, nevertheless.

Most of the chickens at the market are still alive. As I've never purchased a whole chicken before, I was unsure as to whether you chose your favorite live chicken and they cleaned it for you, or what.

But luckily there were two and a half whole, dead, plucked chickens laying on a board. I walked to the people and said "bu yao" (I don't want) and pointed to the head and the feet. They looked at me like I was crazy and I said (in English - good call, Liz) "I don't want the head or the feet". I was pointing to my own head and feet.

Somehow, they understood me. The guy picked up the chicken and put his knife on the neck. I nodded my head, and Sara and I both closed our eyes (I don't want to see a chicken decapitated!). He also cut the feet off for me. I said to Sara, "hey, it looks like a chicken!".

They weighed it and I paid 13 kuai and got myself a chicken!

I'm about to go put it in the oven. I'll let you know if it's as delicious as I had hoped!

No comments: