Friday, October 06, 2006

National Day

Well, it's the National Day holiday here in China.

*Guoqingjie, or National Day, marks the founding of the People's Republic of China by Mao Zedong on October 1, 1949.* (from answers.com)

There are no classes this week. In America that means that you get two weekends, plus one week off (total of 9 days). Well, only three of the five school days are excused holiday days, so we have to make up the other classes during the weekends. So we had Thursday classes last Saturday, and Friday classes this Sunday. So the total days off is only 7 (Sunday to Saturday).

I was so looking forward to a week of doing nothing. My wish was not granted :)


Sunday we went out with Joni (another American living in Anshun) because it was her birthday. We met her at 12 for lunch, then facials, then head massages, plus a lot of walking around and window shopping. Finally we went to her apartment for dinner and birthday cake.
Monday a student of mine taught me to cook. It was informative, but a lot of work. She arrived at 10am and we didn't finish lunch until 3pm. Phew!


Tuesday we met up with Joni again to check out more of Anshun. We visited the fabric market, went shoe shopping and had lunch. In the afternoon Sara and I attended one of the classes that Joni gave at the English Salon on teaching methods.


Wednesday I met Sara at 7am and we caught a bus to Guiyang. We were there by 9am. Rickey (another student) was visiting her grandma in Guiyang and hosted us for the day. It was a long, full day of shopping, eating snacks and walking around. We got back to Anshun around 8 and to our apartments by 8:45 or so.


SO... Thursday I did NOTHING! I didn't even get dressed! Actually, I rearranged my living room, did dishes, and did my laundry. But still.


I'll post soon about learning to cook. I just thought I would catch you up on my little life here in Anshun.

1 comment:

Ms. Amanda said...

I am glad you have this BLOG! I am really enjoying reading your comments! Keep up the good work!