Sunday, October 01, 2006

Part-ay



In the past week I've been to three parties (part-ays).

The first one was last Friday (September 22nd). It was at my apartment. I invited two of my classes and 11 people came (a pretty good number). The theme was Mexican Fiesta! We had chips & salsa, chili and chicken quesadillas. Yum! It was so fun to have people in my apartment. I really made some good friends!




The second party was Tuesday Sept 26. It was a mid-autumn festival party thrown by one of the sophomore classes. Mid-autumn festival goes by the lunar calendar. This year it is happening right around now. It celebrates the moon - so people eat things that are round - apples, pomolos, and moon cakes (which I don't like - yuck!). The party was in their classroom and mostly consisted of karaoke performances and sunflower seeds (a favorite snack of the Chinese).







The third party was held at the Gateway English Salon in Anshun. The English Salon is run by an American woman who lives in Anshun. It's a place for students to borrow English books and movies, and learn more about teaching English (since this is a teacher's college). The party was for all new freshman. Sara, Kris and I gave out invitations in our freshman classes and accompanied the students to the Salon. They got to eat American food (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and chocolate cupcakes) and learn about the Salon. It was a lot of fun!

But I'm all party-ed out! Thankfully this week is a vacation in China. It's "National Day" and there is no school this week! I'm going to stay here and recover from my first month of teaching! Sara and I may go to Guiyang to visit a student who will be staying with family there. But we're not sure yet. I have no plans, and that makes me so happy! :)

I'll write more later!

No comments: